Dr. Priyanka Badalia
Director- Delhi Physiotherapy Clinic
Parents to take great care of their children's muscles and bones, in particular their spine. "Death is not the greatest loss in life—the greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." Norman Cousins.
Norman Cousins’ quotation has got stunning impact on life. A US study found that up to 56% of teenage spines were deformed. The culprit was identified as poor posture and extended sitting during growth spurts.. The younger children adopt postures in which reflex control are dominant. They sit in many ways, but each with the head, spine, neck relationship retained. Later on children sit in slumped postures, which owe little to reflex control. For children of all ages teaching "good posture" is not the answer to "bad posture". We are kidding ourselves if we think that commands like 'sit up straight,' 'stop slumping' or 'walk properly' will be effective. They are crude in comparison with the complexity of natural movement that was once dominant. Instead of triggering the natural reflexes such commands appear to interfere with them. The result can be over control of muscles and a tenseness that persists throughout their lives. We are simply adding one more habit on top of those that are masking the reflexes. So, whether you want to preserve good body use in a youngster, or regain it in an older child, the theme is the same: make it easier for reflex muscle control to dominate. Good posture isn't something that children have to learn, they already have something much better to rely on.
Here are some tips for healthy muscles and bones
1. Guide your kids to participate in their age related various activities.
2. Guide your kids to make a regular schedule of physical activity.
3. Guide them to incorporate activity into their daily routine, such as taking the stairs instead of elevator.
4. Embrace yourself a positive lifestyle, so you’ll be a positive role model for your family.
5. Always make your activities fun for your kids so that they want to come back for more activities.
Exercise and its benefits : Kids will have
1. Stronger muscles and bones.
2. Leaner body because exercise helps control body fat.
3. Less risk for becoming overweight.
4. Less risk for developing type 2 diabetes
5. Lower blood pressure and blood cholesterol levels.
6. Healthier lifestyle and better outlook on life.
Labels: Articles, Business News, Business Promotion, Doctors, Dwarka schools, Health, Member Article