Principal, MBS International School
Social media no longer has to be an obstacle to studying ; it can help students create and manage a study community, make the best use of study time and find new resources to help them learn and retain knowledge.
One reason social media is so popular is that it allows people to personalize the way they experience and interact with the web. Tools like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram used to be almost exclusively to take a break from academics, but social media is increasingly being leveraged as a study tool, especially for today’s tech- savvy students. Here are few advantages of Social Media--
· Younger students can get developmental benefits from using media like Literacy, Numeracy and Social skills.
· Older students can get developmental benefits of media like Intellectual, Educational, Social and Creative benefits and also it can help them develop reading, writing and critical thinking skills.
· It is very easy to educate from others who are experts and professionals. Students can follow anyone to learn from him/her and enhance their knowledge about any field. Regardless of location and education background, students can educate themselves, without paying for it.
· The main advantage of the social media is that students can update themselves from the latest happenings in the world. Most of the time, television and print media these days are biased and does not convey the true message. With the help of social media students can get the facts and true information by doing some research.
· Social media helps preparing students for successful employment. Students entering the workforce can use social networking sites like Linkedln to network and find employment. Students are extensively carrying out social media strategies for several companies all over the world.
The benefits of social media for students are many. The above are just a few to begin with.
Students ability to access, evaluate, maintain and share information is fantastic without even being aware that they are actually developing such skills day by day. The older generation need to understand the magnitude of this new style of communication.
“We don’t have a choice on whether we Do social media, the question is how well we Do it”